21 Ways to Pray on Election Day
- Thank God for allowing us to live in a democracy, where the people have a say in the selection of their leaders.
- Praise God for his mercy and generosity to our nation over the last 244 years.
- Praise God that we have been able to proceed with the election in spite of the pandemic.
- Ask forgiveness for bitter thoughts you have harbored and unkind words you have spoken during this election season.
- Confess the historical sins of our nation – our greed, our violence, our racism, our indifference to God’s word. Ask the Lord, in his mercy, to draw our country to his Son in repentance and faith.
- Confess the sins of the American church – how we have often placed our trust in political solutions to our problems rather than trusting God alone; how we have often ignored the needs of the poor and marginalized; and, how we have often bowed the knee to nationalism instead of to our Savior and Lord.
- Ask God to give you a gracious, loving attitude toward those who vote differently than you.
- Pray for citizens to engage in the voting process thoughtfully, peacefully, and respectfully.
- If you are voting today, ask for discernment to vote wisely and for courage to vote in line with your convictions.
- Pray that those who vote would consider the needs of those who cannot vote (non-citizens, children, the incarcerated, etc.).
- Pray for poll workers and election officials as they face a long day of thankless toil. Pray especially for those charged with the task of tallying the votes.
- Pray that God would protect voters and poll workers from the coronavirus as people gather to vote.
- Pray for members of the media that they would report the news fairly and accurately, and that they would be treated with respect as they do their important work.
- Pray for families, churches, and communities that are divided in their political convictions, that mutual love and harmony would prevail.
- Pray for the police who are patrolling polling sites, that God would keep them safe and help them to maintain peace in our communities.
- Pray that God would frustrate the plans of those who would disrupt the election through violence, intimidation, or voter suppression.
- Pray that God would frustrate the plans of any who would engage in fraudulent voting practices.
- Pray for the candidates, that they would be courteous if they win, gracious if they lose, and cooperative with the electoral process.
- Pray for those candidates who are elected to office, that they would serve their constituents honorably, honestly, and capably.
- Pray for our two major political parties, that they would operate with integrity and that they would align their platforms with the values of God’s kingdom.
- Praise God, that no matter what happens in the election, he is in control and our lives are in his hands.
More in Blog
March 27, 2023Lenten Classics – Worldly Amusements
March 20, 2023Lenten Classics – Praying the Scriptures
March 13, 2023Lenten Classics - Forgiveness