5 ways trusting in Christ affects your life today
Does knowing Jesus make any difference in your daily life right now? Romans 5:1-5 describes five ways that faith in Christ affects your life today.
1) You have peace with God – v. 1. Through faith in Christ, believers have been justified. This means, Christian, that, because of Jesus, God has declared you to be righteous and acceptable in his eyes. This divine pronouncement of your spiritual status is eternal. You need never fear God’s judgment or wrath. Your sins have been pardoned because of Christ’s death, and you share in the righteousness of Jesus through your union with him.
2) You have access to God – v. 2a. Your sin once separated you from God, but that barrier has now been removed. You can come boldly to God in prayer and know that he will welcome your approach and listen attentively to your concerns. (See Heb. 4:16.)
3) You have a bright future – v. 2b. “We boast in the hope of the glory of God.” Just as Christ was raised from the dead, so will you be, too. Jesus will share the riches of his kingdom with you. The hardships of this present age are not worth comparing with the glories of the age to come (Rom. 8:18).
4) Your pain has a purpose – vv. 3-4. “Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.” God allows suffering and sorrow into his children’s lives, but never without reason. He uses suffering to shape our character and make us more like his Son.
5) The Holy Spirit is with you – v. 5. The Holy Spirit makes Jesus real to us (Jn. 16:14-15). He relates to us in a personal way (2 Cor. 13:14). He is the paraclete (Jn. 14:16), literally, “the one who comes alongside to encourage.” He is given to all believers (Eph. 1:13).
More in Blog
June 4, 2020You Cannot Out-Love God
June 3, 2020Dealing With Uncertainty
June 1, 2020Sub-Christian Responses to the Killing of George Floyd